Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Digital Stitchings


This week as I began to explore websites for an interesting article to write about I was able to find one almost instantly that I liked and was interested in. Although I found the artist and the work very interesting, I was having a hard time sitting down and actually reading it and then coming on here to blog about it. Today I finally sat down and made myself do it. Today is a very special day for me and for many other Jews around the world. Its Yom Kippur, the day of atonement or the day of at one ment. This is the one day I should not be using the computer and here I am writing my blog entry for the week.

As I began researching more about this weeks artist, Rachel Beth Egenhoefer, and how she uses the tactile and technology to make art, I realized how interesting it is that today is the day I chose to write about her. Rachel Beth as an artist is interested in technology and being able to touch or feel. She explores how things like a kitting pattern can look exactly like html written codes that computer scientists write on a daily basis. So to me the one day I'm not suppose to be near technology and I should be getting closer to my religion through prayer and fasting, I'm chosing the tactile and the technology instead of fasting from it for the day.

Rachel Beth's current project that she is working on involves the use of Nitendo's Wii and her favorite thing kitting. She came up with the idea for the virtual kitting by wanting to represent code and at the same time the motion of knitting. Egenhoefer became interested in tracking the way peoples hands move and the intricate details of maneuvering a stitch. I think that this new media project is very interesting and definitely something that really has not been explored before. Not only is it intreguing that she loves kitting so much that she wants to make it a game but also its striking how this is not only going to be a game but its also a major art project. I find it so interesting how the everyday can turn into unconventional art. It makes art seem common place by having involved in our everyday lives yet at the same time its so unique to be living in a time and place where that is allowed to happen. I really love Rachel Beth's work and think that its great that she is a young woman who knits and is making art by invovling technology and pop culture.


Read an interesting interview with her here.

~ B ~

No comments: